advert

Algerian star Riyad Mahrez named BBC African Footballer of the Year

The Leicester City winger beat off Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Andre Ayew, Sadio Mane and Yaya Toure.

Algerian international Riyad Mahrez has won the BBC African Footballer of the Year award for 2016.

The Leicester City winger beat off Gabon’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Andre Ayew of Ghana, Sadio Mane of Senegal and Ivorian midfielder Yaya Toure to cap off a tremendous year.
The 25-year old said, ‘It means a lot, it’s something big for African players so I am very happy, I am very proud.
‘It’s always good to receive awards and for African players it’s a huge honour. To all the fans, thank you very much.’
He added: ‘Also I want to thank the Algeria fans and dedicate this to them as well and for my family.
‘I just have to carry on and keep going with my football and see what I can do.’
It has been a pretty remarkable year for Mahrez, winning the Premier League title with his club side, Leicester as well as the Professional Footballers’ Association Player of the Year award.
He joins other former winners of the prestigious title like Kanu Nwankwo, Jay-Jay Okocha, Didier Drogba and George Weah.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.